St. Edwards is committed to the continuing education and enrichment of the adults in our parish.
Monday Evening Courses
At St. Edward’s Church there are two objectives for our Adult Faith Enrichment program:
- To faithfully implement the call to catechetical renewal as expressed in the 1999 USCCB document, “Our Hearts Were Burning Within Us.”
- To create a center of excellence within the parish and a model of adult faith enrichment within the community, the deanery, and the diocese.
Since Adult Faith Enrichment is central to our overall mission we strive to reach three goals:
- We view Adult Faith Enrichment as an invitation to pursue on going conversion to Jesus.
- We view Adult Faith Enrichment as a promotion and support of active membership within the Christian community.
- We view Adult Faith Enrichment as a call and as a preparation for discipleship.
Monday Evening Courses – Presenter: G. Peter Avvento, S.T.D.
Peter Avvento, Coordinator of the “Amazing God” Initiative for the R.C. Diocese of Albany, is a lecturer, teacher and published author who loves to explore the dynamics of conveying God’s Word and Mission in our technological society. He has served as an Adjunct Professor of Moral Theology at Fairfield University, Sacred Heart University and Marymount-Manhattan College. His pastoral work includes hospital chaplaincy, parish ministry and faith formation. In addition to his role with the diocese he also serves as Adult Faith Coordinator for the parish of St. Edward the Confessor in Clifton Park, NY.
Peter received his Doctorate in Moral Theology from The Academia Alfonsiana (The Superior Moral Institute of the Pontifical Lateran University in Rome, Italy). He had the distinguished pleasure of writing his dissertation “The Courage of Fidelity” under the world-renowned Moral Theologian, the late Bernard Haring, C.SS.R. In addition to his doctorate, Peter was the recipient of a fellowship in Medical Ethics at The Yale University School of Divinity. His undergraduate work in theology was completed at the Pontifical Gregorian University in Rome, Italy.
Peter is the author of two books, Sexuality: A Christian View published by XXIII Publications in 1982 and To Live in Christ: Reflections on the Christian Moral Life published by Sunday Publishers in 1979. He has been a guest speaker at parish and diocesan gatherings in the dioceses of Brooklyn, Bridgeport and Albany.
Whatever the title or the topic of his presentation and whatever type of audience, Peter always brings powerful insights, deep spirituality, high energy and humor. His “story-telling” approach helps to convey his message in a comfortable and memorable manner.